February 06, 2008

Why I Love Film


I figure it makes sense to justify why I run this site and watch movies everyday. Not to satisfy the eager interest of those who come across The Bronze, but for myself, as I have never actually put together a conclusive and coherent reason. Mind you, there is no one reason, but rather a combination of many. There is no way to state which is the best art form, as everyone is affected differently by each. I can, however, offer up why I prefer film to anything else. First off, film is the result of more than one art form initially. There's the writing and story. There's the visual side of it, which itself contains a myriad of arts...
-Photography/cinematography
-Costume design
-Art direction
-Set dressing
-The actual direction and editing, meaning the use of specific types of shots and styles
-and others...
There's the use of music, be it original score or otherwise. Also, the general use of sound. Acting, which in the right hands is a complex and even important art.

Second reason is more from personal preference. Unlike in novels/stories/poetry (writings in general) you don't create the images in your head. Rather, you are subject to the mind of the director and his/her choices. This means everything you are seeing is specific and on purpose. In the right hands, the artistic potential is overwhelming.

Then there's the main one. Some of this capability is shared by writing. I am speaking of how a film can make you think and feel. There are hundreds of films that contain deep meaning worth unlocking, considering and learning from. We can discover how other people work. We can connect to someone across the world. We can witness outstanding bravery, and even if for only a moment, feel brave ourselves. Or, we can be ashamed of a character's cowardice, and reflect on our own shortcomings. Most view movies as pure entertainment, but one can gain knowledge of people, the world and self through it, and perhaps even become a better person in the process. I know I have become a better person thanks to film. This is not to say that someone's life should revolve around movies but that someone can take what they learn from film and apply it to their own lives. We can become so attached to a character that when they cry, we cry. This is not silly, this is powerful. One can feel a bond to humanity that no other art could evoke. This is not to say that films are only worth watching if they supply such depth. I only need to mention one of the greatest films ever made, A Hard Day's Night. As far as I can deduct, there is no deep meaning contained in it. There are no realistic characters. But it has a whimsical spirit which can sweep you within it. No matter how you feel previously, you can watch it in delight, laughing hysterically or simply just being content. How remarkable that the simplest of films can be so joyous and powerful.

There are many other reasons I wont get into, but there's a couple more I'll mention. How about that a period piece can provide a window into another time and place? Or, how about animation? Mocked or scoffed at by most adults, animation contains endless possibilities. Anything from anyone's imagination can be fully realized on screen through beautiful illustration. And it is an unfortunate conception that animation must tell kid's stories. Thank God we have access to animated films from Japan to show what can be done. It shocks me that, for the most part, North American animation is so trapped by convention.

I don't know if I've mentioned everything I meant to, but I at least touched on some main reasons of why I love film. I may in the future write more on the subject or simply revise this post. Anyways thanks for reading, or at least for letting me attempt at explaining something that is difficult to explain.




P.S. I'd like to mention that my reasons for loving film can also be applied to television. Although it's rare. I could count all the TV shows deserving such a compliment on my two hands. Specifically the work of Joss Whedon.

No comments: