March 25, 2009

"The New Great American Director"

In a recent post on his blog, Roger Ebert has given the prestigious title of "The new great American Director" to film maker Ramin Bahrani.


"After three films, each a master work, he has established himself as a gifted, confident filmmaker with ideas that involve who and where we are at this time. His films pay great attention to ordinary lives that are not so ordinary at all."

It is certainly hard to disagree with Ebert, even though I have only seen one of Bahrani's films, Chop Shop, which is a film that nearly made my top ten list from last year. I have his other critically acclaimed film, Man Push Cart, which I plan to watch as soon as I finish this post. His upcoming feature, Goodbye Solo looks incredible and is one of my most anticipated films of this year. It begins it's limited release on Friday.

I also think Bahrani should be celebrated as important if only because he is a true auteur in an industry with so few left. Also, his characters are as fascinating and as interesting as any others being created today.

"Bahrani doesn't categorize his characters. I called them outsiders in one of our conversations at Toronto 2008, and he said he liked that. 'It's not just 'emigrant.' It's different. Their lives are asking, How should I be as a person, how should I be behaving, why is the world this way? You could put me in a room full of people who look just like me and I would feel like I don't understand. Those are the questions. It's in every Herzog film: How do you live in this world? How is the world like this? What else is there to think about?'"

I just thought I should bring attention to Ebert's post, as he has given directors this title before. He does it before the mainstream catches on. The other time I can think of was when he predicted that Scorsese would eventually be one of the most important American film makers.

You can find Ebert's full article here


You can find a trailer for Goodbye Solo here

No comments: