March 02, 2009

The Auteurs Poll: My Submission

For The Auteurs Poll, which I have mentioned on this site before, I had to compile a top ten list of, what I think are, the ten greatest films. It wasn't easy. I've been working on my list since the beginning of February and have only just recently finished it. Currently, I'm working on counting everybody's lists (over 90 sent in so far), and will soon be publishing the results. In the meantime, here is my submission:

The 10 Greatest Films, listed in alphabetical order:

8 ½ – Federico Fellini (1963) Italy

2001: A Space Odyssey – Stanley Kubrick (1968) USA

Aguirre, the Wrath of God – Werner Herzog (1972) Germany

Apocalypse Now – Francis Ford Coppola (1979) USA

Citizen Kane – Orson Welles (1941) USA

The Decalogue – Krzysztof Kieslowski (1989) Poland

Fitzcarraldo – Werner Herzog (1982) Germany

Princess Mononoke – Hayao Miyazaki (1999) Japan

Seven Samurai – Akira Kurosawa (1954) Japan

Synecdoche, New York – Charlie Kaufman (2008) USA

No comments: