April 09, 2007

Comics This Week

Reviews for comics released April 4th 2007...

Buffy The Vampire Slayer Season Eight #2 (Dark Horse)
Written by Joss Whedon, Art by Georges Jeanty
The announcement that a "Season 8" of Buffy was coming and being written by Joss Whedon as well as other comic greats and writers from the TV show caused great excitement. However, after reading issue #1, it was evident it would be a very different experience (obviously) than watching the show. I had convinced myself previous to it's release that it was pretty much like the show was back. But it's not. This is a comic book, and will not be great for some of the reasons the show was. However, it's great in a different way, as far as comics go, this is top of the line. For fans familiar with the show, it will take adjustment, but it is most defnitely worth it. The great dialogue is back and, if you watched the show as much as me, the actor's voices still read it (maybe I'm just crazy). Ultimately, Buffy Season 8 is shaping up to be my favourite ongoing series, and issue #2 is proof that it deserves to be.


The Dark Tower: Gunslinger Born #3 (Marvel)
Written by Peter David, Robin Furth and Stephen King, Art by Jae Lee and Richard Isanove

This is the third Dark Tower issue and it gets better each time. This book is only overseen by Stephen King, yet it has the same feel as his novels (of which I am a fan). The narration is outstanding, written in the style of language the story's characters speak. The story itself is actually from the 4th novel in King's 7 book series. For someone new to the world, I think it is a great entry point. For a Dark Tower veteran, it is incredible how a retelling of a story can be so great and exciting. This is helped by the perfect, unique art that is exactly the style the Dark Tower needs. What's also impressive is how a huge novel is being compressed into a seven issue miniseries without hurting the story.


Runaways #25 (Marvel)
Written by Joss Whedon, Art by Michael Ryan

Brian K. Vaughan's series is now in Joss Whedon's hands (is there anyone else better?). A worthy writer to take over one of the best series today......right? I doubt anyone could have made an issue of Runaways equal to the standards of Vaughan's last few on the comic, so this issue does not surprise me. Whedon does a great job writing some characters (Chase) but some just don't have the same quality and voice Vaughan gave them (Molly). What does surprise me is the strange storyline which seems unatural. It's an odd choice for the Runaways, but it is interesting. Not a great issue, but it's only Whedon's first (of six) and I have a feeling it will get much better.

Jack of Fables #9 (Vertigo)
Written by Bill Willingham and Matthew Sturges, Art by Tony Akins and Andrew Pepoy

The spinoff of Fables got off to a great start with the first arc, a good combo of jokes and adventure. But now the adventure is lame and the jokes are the same ones again and again. The current storyline is uninteresting, as are the side characters. I have a little bit of hope left that it will pick up again. However I think it's a slim chance that it will because it is the premise that is lacking. Until it gets better (or worse), the only purpose Jack of Fables serves is to make the wait until the next Fables slightly easier (and only very slightly).

Next Week: The Loners #1 and Fables #60

2 comments:

InternGnat said...

Christ, Adam you went offline! Anyway...Jack of Fables, while good, did not haold the same value as other Fables for me, however I did not actually have to wait for them. What else...I've never read Dark Tower...umm... I heart Buffy...yup that's it. Runaways I am still debating on (buying or borrowing). I feel like you write this thing especially for Parker.

Unknown said...

I feel like you wrote that comment for your mom