April 12, 2007

Comics This Week

Reviews for comics released April 11th 2007...

Fell #8 (Image)
Written by Warren Ellis, Art by Ben Templesmith

This issue Warren Ellis changes his storytelling style to sort of a "day in the life..." type. It follows our hero, Richard Fell, armed with a digital camera. Most of the book's art are "pictures" he takes during a regular shift in Snowtown. For those unaware of this comic, Richard Fell was a regular police detective but took a job in Snowtown, a place with no hope and lots of psychos. In this issue he encounters said psychos and the very psychotic things they do. It's a nice change of pace and a great conclusion for the trade paperback which will be released shortly (GO BUY IT). The last page is a great place to finish the first volume and is one of my favourite comic pages ever. Ben Templesmith's art continues to be the best out there. I find everytime a pickup an issue of Fell (which is rare because it comes out randomly every few months) I frequently stop to admire certain panels for their sheer beauty (no matter how brutal the subject of the panel may be as Fell has some pretty gruesome stuff). Not many comics do that to me. I guess Fell is something special.




The Loners #1 (Marvel)
Written by C.B. Cebulski, Art by Karl Moline

The Loners is a spinoff of Runaways (the only reason I bought it) featuring super heroes who are trying to put their past behind and be normal people, but can't seem to do it. The premise is interesting and the potential for a great mini-series is certainly there but it doesn't reach it here. First off I don't like the art and it pissed me off the whole time. The fight scene panels were boring and, once again, pissed me off. Also, the characters aren't grabbing me, but it is only issue #1 (of six). Despite it's flaws, The Loners #1 is alright, I like the concept and the story, and if I get attached to the characters, then the series could be more than alright. Overall, just ok, but I'm hoping for more than ok next month, lets hope it delivers.



Fables #60 (Vertigo)
Written by Bill Willingham, Art by Mark Buckingham

This Fables issue is the beginning of a new arc in the greatest comic going. "The Good Prince" is to be an 8 issue storyline about the character Flycatcher. The first of eight isn't the best Fables can offer but It's a great lead-in for what should be a great run (equal to that of "March of the Wooden Soldiers" and "Homelands"). It has it's moments but really this is just an introduction. However, it has a great ending which will get regular readers pretty damn excited. And even if this issue wasn't that great it got me pretty damn excited.




Next week: DMZ #18 and Ex Machina #27

2 comments:

InternGnat said...

Oh I shall buy Fell... buy it shall. ps new post just for you, and you didn't leave a comment you dirty liar.

Dromics said...

I made a new post. whoo me. By the way I can't get last.fm to work for me; all i get are 30 second previews. nice job on the reviews. i guess...