April 19, 2007

Lost and Found

When i borrowed Lost Season One on DVD from a friend, I was hooked. It was the first show to grab me so completely that wasn't made by Joss Whedon. I fell in love with the characters, the style and the story. However, unlike Buffy or Angel, it did not get better the next season. It got worse. It was still a good show, but had the quality of the first season been the same as the second I would never have been interested. But I kept watching, enjoying the show, but not nearly as much. With each week came a new chance for a comeback, but it never happened. The story was good and the twists were excellent but those little character moments were gone. Think when Locke realized he could stand in Season 1 or when Jin had the flower for Sun in the airport. The heart of the show was gone. Season 3 started off ok but still no better. The Mr. Eko episode was incredible and in my opinion one of the 10 best episodes ever. Then the show settled in with being average again. Almost all my hope was gone, I considered stopping watching Lost altogether. I decided I would finish the season then quit if it didn't get better. But it did. I believe starting with the Hurley episode, when they found the car it got back to the small moments. The heart, what the show needs to survive, was beating again. And every week since, each episode has been outstanding. Perhaps even equal to the quality of season one. It took a long time but the show is back in all it's glory. We will have to wait and see if the show can maintain this. But until then, it's a time to take a deep breath, and realize this show is once again the best on televsion...So here's to "Lost", now found .

No comments: