April 18, 2007

New Album Review: Cassadaga

Cassadaga by Bright Eyes

Now this review is interesting (only for me?) because instead of reviewing an artist I'm familiar with, I am reviewing an album by an artist I have never heard before. So take my rating seriously because there is no biasnesssss (?). I like to think I wouldn't be biased reviewing an album by Modest Mouse or Matt Good (2 favourite artists) but for this one I can guarantee it. Ok, on with the show (article?). The album's title is the name of a community of psychics in Florida (cool?). The first track opens with audio clips of people talking about Cassadaga which would be dull if not for the outstanding instrumental accompanying it. The weird clips give in to Conor Oberst's voice and also into the masterpiece that Cassadaga is to become. If you listen to each song individually, each is excellent. But together, as an album, Cassadaga is greater than the sum of it's parts. This is a sign of a special album. Not many releases in recent years are wonderful journeys that could only be travelled (and deserving to be travelled over and over) in sequence to reach it's potential (Kid A by Radiohead, Yankee Hotel Foxtrot by Wilco to name some of the few). Each song has a sort of post-folk type feel with thoughtful, poetic lyrics. Oberst's voice gives his words the value they deserve. Conveying them in the only way they could if to be as impactful. A lot of the album is soft and beautiful, but, it's at it's best when the pace picks up. Such as: "Four Winds", "If The Brakeman Turns My Way"or "Soul Singer in A Session Band". Usually I need a long time with an album to be able to warm up to it completely. However, after my first listen I was blown away. I have spent the whole day listening to it again and again to find a flaw or a reason to complain. But I didn't. This is the best album of the year so far, and an instant all-time favourite of mine. I'll be putting up a free track from it next week, give it a listen, if you like it, buy the album. It's perfect.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are my best friend Adam after Erica Hunter.

InternGnat said...

I don't believe this. You've been BEST FRIEND CHEATING!? Oh you've made a fool of me for the last time...

Unknown said...

Cara, No! It's not true!!!! I swear..................................................it wont be the last time :D