May 03, 2007

Comics This Week

Reviews for comics released May 2nd, 2007...


Buffy The Vampire Slayer Season Eight #3 (Dark Horse)
Written by Joss Whedon, Art by Georges Jeanty


Last month's issue was fantastic and left off with a nice cliffhanger. Before #3 gets to continue where that one ended is a wacky dream sequence. It has a good laugh and is really interesting, and in this scene another old character returns. Having old side characters show up is really making this series feel like a true continuation of TV show. It makes it feel authentic. However, one thing I realized well reading was that you need not have seen any episodes of the show to enjoy the comic. I mean it helps but it is not neccesary, much like Serenity to Firefly (another Whedon's creations). The cliffhanger that comes with this one is far superior. It is an unbelievable surprise no fan could have predicted. It is as confusing as it is surprising but I'm sure that will be resolved next month, in the last issue of the first arc.



The Dark Tower: Gunslinger Born #4 *of 7* (Marvel)
Written by Peter David, Art by Jae Lee and Richard Isanove


The Dark Tower has been getting better and better, said trend continues here. This issue contains some of the best art and story thus far from what may be the best creative team of the year. Secrets are unravelling in the book's mystery and the plot is starting to move quickly. As a reader of the novels, I know what is going to happen and I actually think I enjoy it more because of that. Seeing some of my favourite parts of "Wizard and Glass" (book 4 in the novel series) come alive in beautiful cinematic art is a wonder. The narrative may be the best I have read outside of Frank Miller's Batman graphic novels. The script is also incredible, actually, everything about this book is. Also, it is one fo the few comics that can be read by a non-comicy person (loser) and they would love it. Apparently, there will be more mini-series done on The Dark Tower. If that is true and the same team stays together, I hope it will never end.



The Loners #2 (Marvel)
Written by C.B. Cebulski, Art by Karl Moline and Christina Strain


The first issue of The Loners was crap. I decided to give it one more shot to hook me in or I would drop the series. Well, this issue is a lot better. However it is quite simply not worth my money, so this will be my last review of the comic. The story focuses on ex-superhero Riccochet, the only character that is remotely interesting, as he suits up again for the greater good and screws up in the process. It has some action and a chuckle here or there, but there are dozens and dozens of better comics out there. Don't pick up The Loners.



Runaways #26 (Marvel)
Written by Joss Whedon, Art by Michael Ryan


Last month Joss Whedon's Runaways debut came out. Filling Brian K. Vaughan's shoes is not an easy thing to do, even for Him (I capitallized Him, tee hee). Joss did alright but it was not as good as most of Vaughan's work but I expected this issue to be a major improvement. And it was. I am gonna make quite the statement here....This is the funniest comic issue I have ever read. Runaways is sometimes deadly serious, but like Buffy the Vampire Slayer it can also be hilarious. Starting on page 3 I probably laughed out loud every page. Whedon manages to create two of the funniest parts using The Punisher and Kingpin. For those who do not know who those characters are, they are two of the most serious in the Marvel universe. One of my complaints last time was that Joss could not write Molly very well. This time he gives her all the best moments and executes them with perfection. My only complaint is that Joss Whedon will be leaving after four more issues.

Next week: DMZ, Jack of Fables, Y: The Last Man

No comments: