May 10, 2007

Comics This Week

Reviews for comics released May 9th, 2007...


DMZ #19 (Vertigo)
Written by Brian Wood, art by Riccardo Burchielli and Nathan Fox

There is no shortage of great war stories out there, in every medium, be it in book, film or comic. However, none manages to put things in perspective like in DMZ. Especially in the current arc, DMZ shows how people are able to commit the horrors we hear about. It makes you think how different people are when armed and frequently facing the possibility of death. This isn't the best war story, but it is a very good one, and I recommend it to anyone, not just comic book fans. On a random note, if you love war stories go out and buy "The Other Side" graphic novel, also published by Vertigo Comics.

Jack of Fables #10 (Vertigo)
Written by Matthew Sturges and Bill Willingham, art by Tony Akins

I have been dissing Jack of Fables for a while now. I've called it stupid, pointless, boring comic, but I liked it when it started out. It was funny. But when a book made primarily for laughs gets less funny then it kinda loses it's appeal. However, it gets funny again this issue whilst adding a strong ending to a terrible arc. It redeems itself quite well and sets itself up for better stories in the future. I am gonna give Jack of Fables a chance based on the potential this issue shows. If it keeps it up, I'll keep buying it, but another arc like this one and I'm done with it.

Y: The Last Man (Vertigo)
Written by Brian K. Vaughan, art by Pia Guerra

Y: The Last Man is one of the best comics I have ever read. It has gotten weaker in its last quarter (it's ending at 60 issues), but is still an incredible series. Vaughan, however, has made one of the most memorable issues with #56. A joy to read from start to finish, complete with a twist, laughs, suspense, and tears, this issue reminded me that this may be the best complete series ever. I do not care who you are, whether you read comics or not....GO OUT AND BUY Y: THE LAST MAN, NOW!!!!!!!!! I find it hard to believe anyone could not love this series if they tried it, ANYONE. The issues are collected in trade paperbacks, a total of 10 volumes (9 out right now). You can find them at any comic book store, online (http://www.amazon.ca/) or you can order them through major book stores (Chapters, Indigo). BUY IT.

Next Week: I can't remember...

No comments: