May 28, 2007

New Album Review: Chronophobia by Insert

Insert is my friend and co-blogger's band, but I assure you I approach this review with no bias. Also, I think it is vital to mention that I am reviewing this album with the same scale of any music review. Chronophobia begins with a keyboard intro that simultaneously sets the tone and perfectly leads into the next song. But the disc is not always perfect. Insert, for the most part, have a refreshing original sound containing a great combination of elements. Said elements include heavy drumming, old school guitar shredding, and a violin, which adds a folksy sound instead of blending in with the other instruments (see: Yellowcard). Remember when I said mostly a refreshing sound? Insert occasionally drifts into a familiar hard rock sound. That is a real shame considering they seem to be a creative group with adequate capabilities. However, it is something that can improved upon in the future. There are no real bad songs here, some average, some good, a couple very good and a couple great tracks. When listening to a teen local band's music, I always bear in mind the lack of production quality and the not completely developed talents within. However, with this album, I was surprised to find myself unable to stop listening to it. Favouring Insert tracks over my regular major artists when casually listening to music. Insert has shown that they may be a band that has a long way to go, but they are well on their way. The album is a major accomplishment. At first glance, a 3 star rating may seem a bit average but I have dozens of albums released by major label artists that would score less. The definition of chronophobia may be the fear of time, but the only time listeners have to fear is how long until album number two.

No comments: